Sintra International Singing &
Choral Conducting Course



SINTRA REHEARSAL & CONCERT VENUE

REHEARSAL VENUE (OUTSKIRTS OF OLD QUARTER)

Quinta da Regaleira is one of the many wonders of Sintra.

Quinta da Regaleira

Built between 1904-1910 it is an elaborate estate with a palace and extensive gardens, in which can be found a feast of historical, religious and hermetic references to name but a few. The palace is built in the Romantic Gothic Manueline style with an exterior sporting an abundance of towers, turrets and spires. The gardens are full of surprises both above and below ground. The luscious landscaping includes fountains, pools, grottoes, caves, an initiation well, a tower, and a chapel.

Quinta da Regaleira

Open air workshop venue

Quinta da Regaleira

Auditorium

As Artists in Residence, the members of the Sintra International Singing and Choral Conducting Course will rehearse in buildings reserved for artistic workshops, surrounded by greenery with plenty of space for relaxing. A cafe is available for tea, coffee and lunch. We are most grateful to Fundacao Cultur Sintra for the use of such a spectacular venue. An openair workshop and informal ensemble making will take full advantage of the various spaces and their resonant acoustics. Course members are invited to explore and enjoy the grounds and their sounds!

Quinta da Regaleira

One of the cave entrances

Quinta da Regaleira

Venue for exhibitions, workshops & rehearsals

Links:
Click here for more information.
Click here for more photos.


CONCERT VENUE has yet to be confirmed

PAST VENUES

CONCERT VENUE in CENTRE OF OLD QUARTER

Igreja de S. Martinho is the old parish church of Sintra. It was founded in the XIII century and was completely destroyed by the great 1755 earthquake. Only a few walls from the original apse and a gothic tombstone from the XIV century remain. A new church was built in 1760.

Igreja de S. Martinho

It has three paintings of note: one of St. Martin of Tours, another of St. Anthony preaching to the fish and the third of St. Peter Patriarch that belonged to the main XVI century altar retable. It also has an XVIII century Portuguese organ, which is no longer in use, and a small museum with pieces mostly from the XVI, XVII and XVIII centuries.



CONCERT VENUE in COLARES

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção-Igreja Matriz de Colares is the parish church of Colares. It was originally a temple from the XV century. Some elements still remain such as the holy water font, the squared shaped pulpit or the two medallions of St Peter and St Paul, on the outer wall of the main chapel.

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção

The whole building was remodelled during the XVII century, by D. Dinis de Melo e Castro (a doctor in Canonic Law at the University of Coimbra, Judge of the High Court in Oporto, Bishop of Leiria, Viseu and Guarda) who was a generous patron of Colares, his home town, during the first half of the sixteen hundreds. The nave is a wide mannerist space, with walls opened by five arches. The blue and yellow patterned tiles are also from the XVII century.

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção

The chancel and the triumphal arch joining it to the nave are from the early XVIII century. It's walls are covered in blue and white tiles, with episodes from the life of the Virgin, attributed to Manuel dos Santos, a painter from Lisbon. The church suffered some damages in the 1755 earthquake. The clock tower shows the date 1798.

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção